Thursday, February 15, 2007

Ed Psych 2/16/07

Why do we teach? We teach because education is important to survive in this world. Education is needed to communicate and converse on a deeper level with others. Education is needed to be an informed citizen. Education is needed to compete in the job market. Education is needed to care for ourselves and others. So some of us decide to help others discover the knowledge that will help them in their lives. I want to teach so I can continue to learn. Learn with others as they learn, and also learn about others.

What is the difference between school work and student learning? School work is often busy work. It does not mean the student is learning. They may have already known everything practiced in the school work, or they may just be reciting words from a textbook, but not really learning a single thing. Student learning often happens through actions. If the student can see the lesson through a science experiment or see math measurements through 3d objects, not just pictures. Student learning is using the brain to actually be productive and learn something. School work is often just busy work.

What makes for good teaching? Enthusiasm. A teacher that is excited about life and learning excites the students. A concept that the teacher presents in an interesting way helps the students become excited to learn also. I didn't have any interest in reading books until my teacher told me about her love for books. She told me about all these wonderful stories and pretty soon I wanted to read them too! I also wanted to read other stories, and I wanted to learn. Because of my teacher's love for books I too developed a passion for reading.

No comments: