Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Luther Presentation: Ain't I A Woman 4/3/07

This presentation was very effective. The actress, Taylore Mahogany Scott, appealed to the emotions of the audience. She showed us what it was like to be a black woman thoughout history. Her stories were thought provoking and inspiring. It made me wonder why white privilege was so accepted during slavery, the '60s, and the present. How could all the people in society not see that white privilege is wrong and discriminatory? Scott inspired me to stand up for what I believe in. I believe people should be treated equal, and when they are not, the discriminatory matter should be approached. To advocate change in our world we need to recognize discrimination and confront it. Then people can begin to change, and all will be treated equal.

This connects very well with teaching in the classroom. Teachers need to be role models and set good examples for their students. If teachers show their students how to confront discrimination the society we live in will change. My school did a great job of showing the students how the discriminatory treatment of blacks throughout history was wrong and cannot continue. We studied this issue in textbooks and had discussions with each other. Another great way to open the eyes of students would be to show this presentation to them. I learned many things through Scott. She was entertaining, informative, and pulled at the heart strings. This presentation also included a cello, piano, and percussion section. It combined the art of music and drama while making a statement about a societal issue. It was very effective and I would encourage persentations like this to happen in my future classroom.

No comments: