Thursday, February 22, 2007

Ed Psych 2/23/07

One controversial topic related to education that I can think of is saying the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools. Over the years there has been a lot of controversy over allowing the pledge to continue with the phrase "One nation, under God". Some individuals believe the title of "God" should not be allowed in the United States school system where church and state are supposed to be separate. Using "God" in the pledge implies that there is one single diety that reigns over all of America. This offends the first amendment that gives each citizen freedom of religion, and also freedom from religion. The phrase in the pledge may offend citizens that worship more than one diety and citizens who are atheists. There is also the idea that one diety reigns over all of America. Our nation is "under God", meaning he has the power to control events in the United States. This idea of a diety controlling a country's actions offends many people also.
Not only are there religious issues about the phrase, but there are also gender issues. The pledge gives allegiance to one god, not one goddess, or one god and goddess, or many gods and goddesses. There is a feeling of male dominance in the pledge. This offends many individuals who do not believe the diety (or dieties) they worship are male or female.
I personally feel the pledge is not offensive. I believe most students say the pledge as part of their routine and they don't focus on the meaning of the words. I learned the pledge and had it memorized before I understood what many of the words mean. However, I also believe in one male God who I hope looks over the United States. The Pledge of Allegiance supports my beliefs and therefore does not offend me. Perhaps I would be offended if I believed in more than one diety or none at all.
I do understand how the phrase violates the first amendment and the idea of freedom that we pride ourselves on as Americans. I also understand that President Bush is a conservative republican who is a devout Christian. As a nation we are conservative, and the next one, possibly two, presidents will be conservative republicans. Therefore the Pledge of Allegiance will not be amended in the near future.... what is your opinion?

2 comments:

Meunich said...

Nice topic. The law does say that all schools have to participate by saying the pledge everyday. In my school, we had the choice to participate in the pledge. We could also chose to omit the word, "under God" if we didn't agree with that. I personaally think that saying it everyday numbs the meaning behind the pledge.

Associate Professor of Education, Luther College said...

Bethany,

What, ultimately, is the purpose of saying the pledge each day? Is the primary purpose for educating children a matter of them becoming "good Americans?" What does "allegiance to the flag" mean to your average 2nd grader? What is the value of reciting words each morning if there isn't an understanding of what they mean?

I enjoy reading your ideas and will look forward to hearing more of them in the future. Thanks for your effort on this blog.

Dr. Langholz